SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position is responsible for transporting prisoners from the arrest site to the DeKalb County jail and from the DeKalb County jail to the City of Doraville Municipal Court and other assigned locations as needed. This position will also provide administrative support to the police department clerical staff as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of a specific statement from the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Picks up and transports prisoners to and from DeKalb County jail, other City/County jails, or City of Doraville Municipal Court as assigned.
- Transports prisoners from jail facility to doctor/hospital as assigned. Also obtains and files prisoners’ medical records as assigned.
- Transports prisoners to and from jail facilities to City facilities for building and grounds maintenance as assigned.
- Provides clerical support to police administration as assigned. Duties include:
- Taking “walk-in” reports from citizens and process as required.
- Completing all prisoner intake paperwork.
- Provides assistance in filing and retrieving police records as assigned.
- Processes bonding transactions and receive fees.
- Assists Fleet Manager with fleet maintenance and associated equipment maintenance.
- Assists with maintenance of departmental equipment, excluding firearms.
- Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Regular attendance and punctuality are essential requirements of the job.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of computers and computer software applications.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, equipment, methods, and procedures.
- Skill in operation of issued equipment and motor vehicle.
- Ability to operate a police radio, computer, and office equipment.
- Ability to enter and retrieve data in a personal computer and complete incident reports.
- Ability to pass the Georgia Public Safety Training jailer certification course (80- hour) during the first 12 months of employment.
- Ability to strictly follow department procedures, including proper procedures when transporting prisoners.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with employees and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees, state and federal authorities, civic leaders and the public.
- Ability to manage stressful situations.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable law, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the City.
- Must be able to sit and drive for extended periods of time.
- Hand-eye coordination necessary to successfully operate a motor vehicle, computers, and various issued equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision and hearing abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work in indoor or outdoor environments and is subject to inclement weather conditions.
- Incumbent is subject to hazardous conditions that could result in serious injury or death and physical exertion such as running, lifting, pulling, pushing and bending.
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- High School graduate or GED.
- Related military or law enforcement/corrections experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License (Class C) and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be able to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment background investigation, to include but not limited to, a physical examination with drug screening and an oral interview.
This classification specification does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Employment with the City of Doraville is at-will in accordance with Georgia law.
The City of Doraville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.