This person in this position is responsible for assisting the Laborer II and III in the general maintenance and cleaning in an assigned city department or area. Duties include assisting in the routine and regular cleaning sanitizing, sweeping, mopping and vacuuming of floors and making minor equipment and facility repairs. Public Services department laborers are responsible for the maintenance of City roads, streets, and other areas of designated right of way.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists with road construction and street cleaning;
- Loads and unloads items such as stone, gravel, dirt, asphalt, pipe, timber and heavy mechanical equipment;
- Assists in semi-skilled work by handling tools, carrying or lifting lumber, mixing or placing cement and asphalt concrete, performing simple repairs or running errands;
- Performs a variety of other heavy manual work in connection with maintenance of streets, roads and facilities;
- Collects and disposes of debris, trash, etc. caused by job;
- Cuts grass around public buildings and right-of-ways;
- Operates weed eater and other grounds maintenance equipment;
- Maintains equipment;
- Assists the Sanitation Department as needed;
- May be required for after-hours work and events as needed;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of materials commonly used in construction, maintenance and repair activities as related to assigned areas;
- Knowledge of or ability to learn, standard cleaning methods and operation of equipment used in custodial work such as brooms, mops, dust mops, vacuums, scouring devices, and wax applicators;
- Ability to use simple hand tools;
- Ability to operate trucks and other maintenance equipment such as mowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers, paint spray gun, hand tools, chalker for ball parks, hand and power saws;
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal job assignments and/or crew assignments;
- Ability to obtain a valid CDL license with proper endorsements as required or necessary;
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis;
- Ability to exert continuous physical effort including frequent bending, walking, manipulating and heavy lifting of equipment.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
The work requires heavy lifting, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, hearing, pushing, pulling, reaching, speaking, standing for a long period of time, talking, visual activity and walking for a long period of time.
The employee frequently lifts light objects and uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
The incumbent works in a relatively safe, secure, and stable work environment.