This person in this position is responsible for the maintenance, cleanliness and upkeep of all buildings owned and/or operated by the City of Douglasville. The incumbent must possess working knowledge of HVAC, electrical components, computers, painting, sheet rock repair, changing a range of lighting fixtures, plumbing and other items associated with building maintenance and upkeep.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains and repairs City facilities, equipment, and buildings by performing carpentry, electrical, painting, and plumbing;
- Installs, maintains, and repairs carpeting, floor tile, linoleum, wood floors, ceramic tile, and other surfaces.
- Operates mechanical floor buffers, drills, paint sprayers, and other shop machinery and tools as needed.
- Keep records on inventory and service and maintenance work performed.
- Identifies problems, contacts and supervises the work done by outside sources, ensuring the work is done properly.
- Cuts lawn using hand, power or riding mower; trims and edges around walks, flower beds, walls, etc.
- Plants grass, flowers, trees and shrubs; prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth.
- Sprays lawns, trees and shrubs with fertilizers and insecticides.
- Removes snow and ice from building walkways and steps; may rake leaves, clean and sweep litter.
- May perform minor repairs and maintenance procedures on equipment utilized in grounds keeping.
- Able to supervise and work an inmate crew.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
PUBLIC SAFTEY & MUNICPAL COURT BUILDING
- In addition to the major duties listed above, the FMS assigned to the PSMCB will also be responsible for the maintenance and equipment of the fuel center, car care center, and K-9 care buildings.
- Does manual labor, including cleaning bathrooms and facility. Unclogs drains, repairs fictures, changes lighting, replaces filters, works on basic HVAC repair and maintenance
- Works on-call schedule. Works some weekends and special events. Must be able to respond at night and on weekends when an emergency repair is required
- Able to supervise and work an inmate crew
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires High School diploma or equivalent two (2) years of technical coursework; five (5) years of experience in building maintenance or an Associates’ degree is preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of building maintenance requirements and thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in maintenance and repair;
- Knowledge of alarm systems, and electronic keyless entry systems.
- Knowledge of safety procedures related to the installation, repair and maintenance of various electrical and mechanical control systems and devices;
- Knowledge of locating and adjusting defects in electronic systems and equipment;
- Considerable skill in electrical and plumbing tasks;
- Skill in operating a variety of hand and power tools;
- Ability to work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays as required;
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines;
- Ability to coordinate with contractors;
- Ability to work on multiple tasks at one time;
- Ability to evaluate a problem and identify solutions.
- Methods and procedures used in carpentry, electrical, painting, plumbing, mechanical, and other trades work.
- Hand and power tools used in carpentry, electrical, painting, plumbing, or other mechanical work.
- Ability to work with building materials and supplies used in the various trades including: Electrical: Tools, minor testing equipment, sizes and types of wires, fuses, and safety precautions. Painting: Types of paints, stains, lacquers, and varnishes; methods of preparing surfaces; and uses and safety precautions concerning painting. Plumbing: Sizes, types, and composition of common pipes used in plumbing; and uses and safety precaution concerning plumbing tools. Mechanical: Ducting, registers, fasteners, and filters.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Georgia CDL Driver’s License desired. CDL must be obtained within 12 months of employment.
For the Police Department Maintenance Technician position, a Class C Driver’s License is required. Before assuming supervisory responsibility of a jail inmate crew, the incumbent must complete the requirements for Georgia POST Jailor certification.
The work is heavy work and requires climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Incumbent spends part of the time working in an environment where errors on the incumbent’s part can lead to significant physical or mental consequences for themselves or others.