To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Job Title: Sr. Accountant/ Deputy Finance Director in Training
Pay Grade: 116 Salary Range $59,269.02-$91,856.98
FLSA Status: Exempt
This position is responsible for the management of the day-to-day accounting operations of the City’s Finance Department and assisting the Chief Financial Officer and Finance Director with departmental responsibilities in planning, organizing, and directing the financial operations of the City.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manages the daily accounting operations of the Finance Department, which may include review, evaluation, supervision, and actual instruction of work to the finance staff as assigned by the Finance Director.
- Coordinates and assists with financial audits.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget to include researching financial information, preparing reports and related summarizes. Assists department heads with monitoring annual budget.
- Assists in the preparation of the monthly, quarterly and annual reports for city manager and city council. Creates and updates queries to obtain information for financial reports. Facilitates and completes monthly, fiscal year-end and calendar year-end close out procedures and reports.
- Assists in preparing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) submitted to the GFOA for the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, including the Management and Discussion & Analysis.
- Assists with City financing activities, including bond activities and lease/purchase agreements.
- Assists with supervision of the accounting department, including general ledger maintenance, project accounting maintenance, payroll, accounts payable, cash receipts, fixed assets, stormwater billing and collection and Finance Department bid documents/requests for proposals.
- Ensures accuracy, compliance with accepted accounting principles and policies, and ensures appropriate coding, posting etc. Identifies discrepancies, initiates and/or implements corrective actions to resolve discrepancies and correct errors. Documents and monitors internal controls as well as establishes and maintains written departmental procedures.
- Analyzes financial information and prepares summaries, statistical data, findings and recommendations. Assists with evaluating and making recommendations related to appropriate investment strategies and policies.
- Assists with the analysis, implementation, and training of staff on accounting software.
- Assists in evaluating, planning, and/or recommending training for staff professional development.
- Assists in conducting performance evaluations.
- Represents the Director on various committees as assigned and in his/her absence.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field; four (4) years of accounting experience and two (2) years of supervisory experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting theory, practices and principles and property tax billing and collections.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results.
- Ability to perform complex financial, statistical, budgetary and cost analyses.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply legal and financial documents, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to work under the pressure of rigid deadlines.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from Director to accomplish objectives.
The work is sedentary work. The employee is occasionally required to exert up to 20 pounds of force and/or light physical effort that includes some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight. Work is typically performed at a desk with intermittent periods of standing or walking. This position occasionally requires the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds and visual cues or signals.
Work is typically performed in an office environment.
The City of Powder Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applicants must complete a City of Powder Springs employment application. Applications may be down loaded and printed from the website at www.cityofpowdersprings.org or visit 1114 Richard D. Sailors Parkway(9am-4pm), Powder Springs, GA 30127 to receive an application.
Please submit letter of interest or resume along with a City of Powder Springs employment application to:
Rosalyn Nealy, Human Resources Director
City of Powder Springs
P.O. Box 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Closing Date: Open Until Filled