In order to be considered for this position you must click on the following link for the job description and link to the application.
This position is responsible for directing the operations of the Parks and Recreation Department and the Barrow County Senior Center.
- Administers all department programs and events;
- Develops and implements leisure services programs;
- Prepares a variety of regular and special reports, including reports to the Northeast Georgia Regional Commission;
- Coordinates department capital projects;
- Prepares annual budget recommendations and manages approved funds;
- Develops and implements marketing and promotional efforts in support of department programs;
- Trains, assigns, directs, schedules, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel;
- Coordinates department activities with other county departments;
- Meets with public groups, clubs, and organizations;
- Conducts surveys to determine community needs and evaluate ongoing programs;
- Establishes registration fees for programs, rentals, and facilities;
- Supervises the publication of news releases and program guides;
- Attends conferences and training programs; and
- Performs other assigned duties.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field;
- Seven (7) years of experience in a related field, to include 3 years management experience;
- Or equivalent training, education, and/or experience; and
- Valid State of Georgia Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public and recreation administration;
- Knowledge of senior citizen programming strategies;
- Knowledge of the theories and techniques for the delivery of recreation services to a variety of populations;
- Knowledge of all relevant laws, county policies and procedures, and departmental and safety guidelines;
- Knowledge of project management principles;
- Knowledge of public relations and marketing principles;
- Knowledge of budgetary processes and procedures;
- Skill in supervision;
- Skill in the development and implementation of long- and short-range plans;
- Skill in the development and implementation of programming for the target population;
- Skill in the use of computers and job-related software programs;
- Skill in public speaking;
- Skill in oral and written communication;
- Ability to read, write, and perform mathematical calculations; and
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with County officials, other employees, and the general public.
Work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
Work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.