This position is responsible for updating the City Geographic Information System (GIS), using Global Positioning System for data collection for City purposes, and assisting in the planning services for the City. Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Information Technology Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides technical assistance, training, and policy guidance as a subject-matter expert on the ESRI product line: ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and other ArcGIS Apps products
- Creates, designs, and edits GIS map documents using ESRI ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro Software. Creates maps for other divisions.
- Collects data and information from a variety of sources for the development and maintenance of the GIS databases
- Support of the automation of data collection, conversion, troubleshooting, and maintenance of our Enterprise GIS environment
- Provides technical support and training to staff members who use the GIS systems
- Troubleshoot any issues that arise and provide guidance on best practices for using the software
- Manages reoccurring and as-needed data and map requests
- Publish a map, feature, and geodata services
- Assist in developing innovative and efficient workflows
- Enforce the integrity and accuracy of the field data
- Performs GIS data creation, manipulation, management, and analysis, such as digitizing, georeferencing, geocoding, editing, COGO, and querying both spatial and non-spatial data
- Works with various City of Douglasville Departments and Douglas County to determine their needs for GIS services and provide recommendations
- Automation of database systems related to GIS
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
This position requires Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Geographic Information Science, or related field required; supplemented by one years of experience in geographic information systems; or four (4) years of professional experience with Geographic Information Systems; previous experience in local government preferred. Applicants must also have extensive experience in the use of ESRI products including ArcGIS for Desktop 10.0 or higher and ArcGIS Online; familiarity with querying databases and validating data in SQL, Oracle, or MS Access.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of the operation, maintenance and installation of computer, GIS, AutoCAD, GPS and SQL software applications;
- Knowledge of mapping principles, database management, map automation and analysis;
- Knowledge of database and file management systems;
- Knowledge of information processing, system development process, data management, records storage and access methods;
- Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to information storage, input and reporting in assigned program areas;
- Knowledge of computer hardware capabilities and operations;
- Knowledge of surveying techniques;
- Skill in multi-tasking and completing projects in a timely manner.
- Skill in verbal/written communication including ability to communicate effectively with customers
- Skill in time management
- Skill in presenting complex technical information to individuals and groups;
- Skill in completing complex, technical assignments with frequent interruptions and
- with urgent deadlines;
- Ability to analyze and diagnose problems as well as research and interpret codes,
- regulations, standards, plans and specs, legal descriptions and various governmental documents;
- Ability to analyze, diagnose and resolve software problems, analyze hardware problems and ensure efficient resolution through vendors;
- Ability to read, understand and interpret complex, technical information;
- Ability to conduct research, perform analysis and make recommendations on information processing and computerized systems needs and costs.
The work is typically performed with the employee sitting at a desk with intermittent standing, walking and carrying.
This position typically works in an office environment, and must be easily accessible to users. Some work may be performed outdoors with exposure to fumes or airborne particles. Work is performed with frequent interruptions and is subject to immediate response for service, competing priorities and emergency deadlines.