The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information, and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
The Data Analysis, Senior (Travel Demand Modeling Senior) within the Transportation Planning department is responsible for assisting with highly complex and visible data modeling tools, forecasting and analysis. This individual will assist in developing long- and short-range forecasts; participate in advisory, training and technical assistance; consulting with partners and stakeholders regarding model data interpretation, trends, and application to planning initiatives; working contracted consultants; planning, convening, and/or assisting with meetings; ensuring that work programs and outcomes meet established goals; serving on technical committees; monitoring project implementation; and serving as a representative of the agency to member jurisdictions, outside agencies and the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze different components (population synthesis, visualization, etc.) of the ARC regional activity-based travel demand model and air quality models;
- Collaborates with users with the coding of the transportation networks (roadway and transit networks), including Cube Voyager log file management, Cube Voyager roadway and transit network building processes, and related QA/QC activities using ArcGIS, GTFS and aerial photography;
- Monitors and coordinates the coding of transportation projects for amendments and major plan updates (TIP & RTP) through coordination with local and state project sponsors (GDOT) on project scope and schedule;
- Administers GIS and various data analytics tasks, with travel surveys, the activity-based model, NPMRDS, INRIX, and other data sources in the model development;
- Serves as liaison with the State of Georgia’s Environmental Protection Division, Air Quality Protection Branch, as well as ARC’s Interagency Committee on regional air quality issues;
- Perform other duties as assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of air quality model (EPA – MOVES3), GIS and regional travel demand modeling and coding;
- Knowledge of Regional Activity-Based Travel Demand Forecasting Models;
- Knowledge of travel demand modeling software such as CUBE, TransCAD, Visum, Emme, and map development in GIS, including the use of geo-database for roadway and transit network coding;
- Skills in project management, systems administration, and the software development cycle, including the GitHub open-source software tracking and coordination platform;
- Skills in data analysis, including data manipulation, probe data analytics (such as NPMRDS), travel survey data, Census data (ACS / CTPP), R and RStudio, Jupyter Notebook, etc.;
- Skills in database development, including the manipulation of large matrices;
- Skills in data gathering and analysis, including data visualization, and methods of qualitative and quantitative research;
- Ability to manage and prioritize complex competing priorities;
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently with general instructions;
- Expertise in analysis, critical decision making, and process improvement;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and programming language such as Java and Python.
- Possess strong problem solving and organizational skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, statistics, urban planning, computer science,
information technology or related field;
- Two (2) two years of experience in data collection and analysis and associated technical support, which may include programming.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the
essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other
requirements set forth in law or regulation.
- Master’s Degree in Transportation Planning, Civil Engineering or related field;
- Previous experience in transportation modeling, air quality modeling, network coding, GIS, and data analytics.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $$57,058 - $96,997 (no SS deductions except for Medicare portion, approx. 1.45% of salary)
ARC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability in employment or the provision of services.