City of Brunswick
Job Title: Finance Director
Department/Div: Finance Department FLSA: Exempt
Reports to: City Manager EEO-4 Code:
Salary Range: $77,957-$100,700 Date: 09/2023
Supervises: Asst. Finance Director, AP, CSR, Purchasing
This position is responsible for directing the city's financial operations and for coordinating the maintenance of city financial records.
- Works with external auditors in the preparation of the external audit and the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Works with the City Manager to develop the annual city budget.
- Maintains cash flow for all city funds; makes transfers between various city accounts and records transfers in various funds.
- Invests excess funds to maximize earnings.
- Prepares pension paperwork for submission to actuaries for terminated and retired employees.
- Serves as a member of the Finance Committee; prepares agenda items.
- Prepares and presents monthly financial statements at City Commission meetings.
- Prepares annual analysis of millage rates for presentation to City Commission.
- Serves as liaison to the Audit Committee.
- Serves as a trustee of the Pension Committee; prepares minutes and coordinates meetings.
- Oversees advertising related to the annual budget, SPLOST reporting, and millage rates.
- Prepares annual reports for pension plan actuaries for the computation of minimum required contributions and to prepare participant annual statements.
- Reviews and approves all payments made from city funds.
- Analyzes expense and revenue accounts for reasonableness and variances.
- Oversees the balancing and preparation of payroll tax reporting and W2 and 1099 reporting.
- Provides information and assistance to city departments regarding budgets and expenditures.
- Prepares other special reports as requested by the Commission and other city departments.
- Oversees the setup and termination of employees in the financial software system; grants user permissions.
- Hires, trains, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of Department of Revenue millage forms and calculations.
- Knowledge of state laws relevant to grant requirements, audits, and city financial operations.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in organizing and directing the activities of personnel.
- Skill in management and supervision.
- Skill in the development and implementation of strategic plans and goals.
- Skill in the preparation of complex financial reports.
The City Manager oversees and assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include GAAP, GASB guidelines, the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts guidelines, and city policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied accounting, management, and supervisory duties. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to direct the city's financial operations. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of city financial functions and to the accuracy and completeness of city financial records.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, elected and appointed officials, bankers, attorneys, auditors, representatives of state and federal agencies, vendors, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has responsibility and authority for the accomplishment of objectives, utilization of resources, and personnel administration decisions within the department as granted by the approval of the City Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance or related course of study required. Certified Accountant or master’s degree, preferred.
- A minimum of three years at the director level in Financial Management or Accounting
- More than five years of related experience required.
- A combination of education and/ or experience may be considered.
The City of Brunswick offers a competitive salary with an excellent benefit package.
The City of Brunswick is an Equal Opportunity and E-Verify employer.