POSITION TITLE: COURT CLERK – Full-Time
REPORTS TO: CITY MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: MUNICIPAL COURT
NATURE OF WORK:
This is a clerical and administrative position within the Municipal Court that provides support for the Judges, Prosecutors, Attorneys, and other agencies as warranted, by maintaining court records, receiving court fines, typing court documents, and preparing the court calendar. This position is under the supervision of the City Manager, and this position is a Full -Time position.
MAJOR REPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Oversees day-to-day court operations.
- Provides assistance to the general public, attorneys, judges and other interested parties with requests for information, discrepancies, complaints, and other matters.
- Schedules, directs, motivates, mentors, supervises, and performs the initial evaluation of court personnel.
- Assigns and delegates responsibilities to team members and provides support and/or coverage as needed to ensure fulfillment of court operations.
- Recommends improvements, changes, updates and modifications in accordance with State laws and court programs that may be needed in court operations.
- Manages court session operations by providing support to judges, solicitors, and the probation officers.
- Completes administrative duties, which include but are not limited to case flow management, personnel management, daily operations, record management, technology management, court security, and implementation of court policies adopted by the judges.
- Serves as the subject matter expert in municipal court operations.
- Provides the necessary reporting and communication between agencies and governmental units including all monthly reporting requirements.
- Manages the retention of court records; follows records retention schedules; destroys records as appropriate; and maintains accurate and required documentation of record disposal.
- Serves as Terminal Agency Coordinator for the court; and ensures court compliance with GCIC/NCIC policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with private probation services provider to reconcile probation cases.
- Coordinates and reconciles warrant status with the Communications Supervisor.
- Reconciles and processes bonds on a monthly basis and provides the Finance Department with the necessary supporting documentation.
- Assists in the preparation for court trials; prepares subpoenas; and gathers reports and other materials.
- Reviews and verifies court refund documents.
- Schedules jail arraignments between judges, Prosecutor, defendants, and attorneys.
- Places work orders for equipment repairs; calls vendors for technical support, software issues, facility issues, etc.
- Performs special projects as requested.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Considerable knowledge of general office procedures, principles, and practices; knowledge of computers and computer software including data processing; specialized court data bases and spreadsheets; considerable and working knowledge of legal language and legal procedures related to municipal court functions; some knowledge of basic bookkeeping and basic accounting principles and practices; knowledge of criminal, traffic, and infraction procedures.
Skill in operating business tools and equipment; skill in researching and organizing data; skill in accurately recording, processing, and filing information. Skill in using spreadsheets; skill in using specialized court services databases and advanced skills in customer service techniques.
Ability to effectively communicate on a one-to-one basis with the public; ability to maintain effective working relations with employees, other departments, officials, and the public; ability to maintain accurate records; ability to type and enter data accurately.
- Ability to understand and accurately carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to learn the policies and procedures of Municipal Court.
- Ability to learn State laws on misdemeanor fine schedules and code violations.
- Ability to be tactful and courteous in communicating with the public in person or on the telephone.
- Ability to handle multiple interruptions, and frequent modifications of a task to adjust priorities and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to apply established policies and procedures to assigned job duties.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in conducting Municipal Court business.
Requires an Associate Degree in a course of study related to the occupational field; and five (5) years of work-related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Must have Municipal Court Clerk certification.
- Fully knowledgeable in municipal court rules and regulations.
- Must possess and maintain certification as a CJIS Network Operator.
- Must possess and maintain certification as a Terminal Agency Coordinator (TAC).
- Must possess and maintain certification as a Terminal Security Officer (TSO).
- Must obtain certification as a Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC)/Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) Network Terminal Operator within thirty days of employment.
- Possession of a valid State of Georgia driver’s license (Class C) and a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
- Ability to become a Notary Public within sixty days of employment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete an application in its entirety, visit http://stonemountaincity.org and email with resume to Shawn Edmondson firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 875 Main Street, Stone Mountain, Ga. 30083
Requirements included in this class specification are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.