ABOUT THE FINANCE OFFICE
The City’s Finance Department provides a range of financial services including budgeting, auditing, accounts payable, payroll, cash management, business license administration, and support to other departments within the City. The Finance Department has 5 employees including the Assistant Finance Director.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Assistant Finance Director is responsible for the daily accounting functions of the City that include but are not limited to cash management, bank reconciliations, fixed assets, business licenses, accounts payables, payroll, and other various accounting duties. The Assistant Finance Director assists the Finance Director with ongoing operations of the Finance Department. Work is performed with considerable independence, under the general supervision of the Finance Director, and is reviewed through meetings, reports, and results obtained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in planning, organizing, and directing the financial administration of the City.
- Assists in providing administrative supervision over the central accounting activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, and business and alcohol licenses.
- Supports the annual financial audit by working closely with the outside audit firm and providing supporting documentation and other requests.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining the City’s budget.
- Assists City’s HR vendor with payroll and employee benefit administration.
- Reconciles general ledger and bank statements. Able to anaylze general ledger for outstanding issues, incorrectness and make appropriate changes under the direction of Finance Director.
- Participates in accounts payable process by reviewing and approving entered invoices. Serves as backup for the accounts payable clerk.
- Identifies and solves problems for accounting software users, including answering questions, providing advice and troubleshooting; works with software vendor.
- Communicates effectively and in a timely manner with the Finance Director on issues related to effective financial management of City funds.
- Provides assistance on special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Any combination of education, training, and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university with major course work in finance, accounting, or closely related field, Master’s degree preferred.
LICENSE or CERTIFICATION: Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO), and/or some other equivalent certification is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) to Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience managing governmental accounting and finance programs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) requirements and Generally Accepted Auditing Principles (GAAP) related to municipal finance administration and program development.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and Local financial policies, laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of accounts payable and accounts receivable, financial reporting and complex general ledger systems.
- Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware and software for development and tracking of payroll, accounts payable and receivable, and business licenses.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel.
- Knowledge of municipal audit practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications.
- Skill in tracking, monitoring, and reviewing reports of payroll, annual leave, long and short-term disability, worker's compensation, health insurance plans, and other ongoing payroll expenditures.
- Skill in performing complex financial, statistical, budgetary, and cost analyses.
- Skill in planning, developing, and implementing departmental procedures and objectives.
- Skill in effectively supervising and delegating duties to assigned staff.
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- High ethical standards and personal integrity.
PAY RATE: $85,000 +
This position’s salary is compensated based on skill set and the number of years of experience.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS:
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 18 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year that increases annually by 4 hours for every year of service
- 13 Paid Holidays per year
- Retirement: City offers a defined contribution plan. City contributes 12% of employee’s annual base salary into a 401(a) account. Employees may elect to participate in a deferred compensation (457) plan at any time. City matches employee’s contributions, up to 5%
- Life insurance up to 3x annual salary up to $300,000
HOW TO APPLY:
For the full job description and instructions on how to apply, please visit https://www.peachtreecornersga.gov/jobs.aspx.