To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
The purpose of this classification is to perform internal/external customer support duties for an assigned department, division, or program including receiving and responding to inquiries from the public, other City departments and outside agencies; as well as prepare routine clerical, administrative and receptionist duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as first line of contact to external customers via telephone or in person; refers customers to appropriate staff and/or provides a variety of general information regarding City functions and services; and explains department operating policies and procedures.
- Works directly with customers through all communications channels including walk-in, phone, email, chat, messaging, social post commenting
- Answers questions and engages with responses to posts
- Receives and resolves customer calls, emails and support tickets via online tracking system
- Provides light technical instruction to callers, when necessary, to include assistance with phone application, mobile website, and mobile apps
- Performs ad hoc customer service related tasks or projects as necessary
- Refers to premade scripts for a variety of customer service topics
- Uses best practices in customer service techniques to develop rapport and build relationships with customers
- Types and proofreads a variety of documents including general correspondence, agendas, reports, memos and statistical reports.
- Sorts and distributes mail for follow-up as necessary; independently respond to routine letters and electronic communication.
- Orders, maintains and reconciles purchases of office supplies, merchandise and special purchases related to department operations; maintains inventory; researches pricing information.
- Enters data accurately and maintains records by entering, updating, verifying or making corrections to data/information manually or into a computer system, record or log; retrieves various documents and records and data/information to provide to customer or process requests.
- Assists with account coding of contracts and invoices.
- Processes mail, faxes, and emails by retrieving and opening and date stamping incoming mail, accurately sorting and distributing mail to appropriate personnel; processing outgoing mail; and responding to messages from phone, fax, or email.
- Purges/shreds files per record retention guidelines and maintains file confidentiality.
- Schedules meetings and maintains calendars for department staff; reserves and prepares conference rooms; prepares meeting agendas; attends meetings and takes and publishes meeting minutes.
- Makes travel arrangements for department staff; receives and processes reimbursement requests.
- Assists with posting a variety of information to department website.
- Promotes a positive City image by maintaining excellent internal and external customer relations.
- Works collaboratively with staff, various departments, and outside agencies.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports, and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem-solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
- Composes general correspondence and letters.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred; supplemented by two (2) years of experience, preferably in clerical support, customer service, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Additional certifications may be required based on assignment.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish Preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles of effective customer service.
- Ability to effectively use the English language for spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ability to use modern office equipment including use of a variety of software applications.
- Become familiar with pertinent local, State and Federal laws, codes, ordinances, City functions, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain integrity of work by taking responsibility and accountability for completion of work and customer interactions.
- Maintain punctuality and attendance at work.
- Effectively contribute collaboratively to a team effort.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Passion and patience for working with customers and helping solve problems
- Ability to be a collaborative team member who is willing to work with multiple cross functional departments to produce the best content possible.
- Ability to demonstrate active listening and active learning: Providing full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and taking the time to learn new information
- Critical Thinking to best assist clients in resolving any difficult situations or issues with our services
- Communicate solutions appropriately whether in writing or verbally
The work is sedentary to light which requires the ability to exert light physical effort, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Tasks also require the ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Work is regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The City has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
The City of Roswell, Georgia commits to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees, complying with local, state and federal laws. The City’s policy is to employ qualified persons without discrimination regarding race, creed, color, religion, age, sex, country of national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political affiliation, ethnicity, or status in any other group protected by federal/state/local law.