POSITION TITLE: Communications Manager/Public Information Officer
REPORTS TO: Equity & Engagement Director
DEPARTMENT: City Manager’s Office – Equity & Engagement
SALARY RANGE: $65,083-68,370
The Communications Manager will lead and develop strategic communication activities that will ensure consistent, effective and meaningful communications, and engage the community in key City initiatives. The Communications Manager will provide timely, transparent and proactive information to the public; enhance the visibility of the City of Decatur strategic initiatives, key messages, and programs; promote and ensure open, inclusive, transparent, and professional messages consistent with the City of Decatur’s brand; and enable meaningful community engagement. The position also coordinates related projects involving complex community and cross-departmental issues as assigned, and guide the City’s efforts to strengthen and expand its communications efforts.
- Develop effective communication strategies. Implement an integrated strategic communication plan to advance the City’s brand identity and broaden awareness of its programs, priorities and accomplishments. Ensure communication strategies are consistent with the City’s strategic plan and vision.
- Manage the City’s website, including content strategy, integrated messaging, creative direction and analytics. Works closely with a cross-departmental group to ensure content remains fresh, timely and relevant.
- Collaborates with the Business Development Manager and Special Events & Community Outreach Coordinator to communicate information related to businesses, special events, and promotions.
- Contributes communications skills and expertise to assist employees by maintaining a Communications Tool Box, offering relevant media and social media training, and training with other communications tools and programs as requested.
- Leads the Story Team, a cross-departmental communications team responsible for supporting the division’s communications needs and execution of the communications strategy.
- Serves as the City’s Public Information Officer, responds to media requests, initiates media pitches, builds ongoing relationships with the media, escorts media personnel within city facilities to conduct interviews or take photographs, writes press releases and statements, maintains media lists, and collects & distributes weekly media mentions.
- Monitor local and national publications and online alerts for stories about Decatur.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership. Prepare talking points, presentations, speeches and other supporting material as needed.
- Work with Equity and Engagement Director to develop specific outreach strategies to reach population groups that may need assistance in connecting with City services and programs.
- Manage internal communications (memos, newsletters etc.)
- Attend community events, City Commission and other public meetings, staff meetings, conferences, and other meetings as directed by Equity and Engagement Director.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Competencies & Skills:
- Knowledge and experience in writing, including writing for social media, editing, public speaking, public and media relations.
- Good knowledge of computers and related software applications in word processing and data base management.
- Experience with variety of communications tools including newsletters, websites, press releases, and other social media.
- Strong communications skills both orally and in writing, including writing for social media. Strong grammar, spelling and punctuation skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure and complete multiple assignments under deadline conditions in a dynamic office environment.
- Knowledge or the ability to obtain knowledge of Decatur’s history, city government, and other related information about departments within the city.
- Ability and desire to work closely with residents, business owners and volunteers in a positive and respectful way.
- Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, mass media, English, public relations, journalism, marketing or other related field
- Familiarity with local government operations and media relations, and at least 2 years of supervisory experience preferred.