POSITION OPENING: 24-12 Post Dates: 9/13/2023 – Until Filled
Classification Title: Equipment Operator - Litter
Starting Base Rate: $19.13/hour
Location: Public Works Department
Term of Appointment: Regular full-time
Probationary Period: 12 months
The employee selected for this position will primarily be tasked with keeping the City of Perry’s streets, neighborhoods, and common areas clean by removing debris. Perform a variety of manual, semi-skilled and skilled labor involving the operation of light to heavy duty vehicles and equipment used in maintaining and repairing city streets, sidewalks, drainage systems, rights-of-way, and related infrastructure. This is the entry level class in the Equipment Operator series and duties are performed under training and close supervision until proficiency is demonstrated. Employees in this class are distinguished by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to the positions in this series. On the job training.
- Serves City properties, rights-of-way, and infrastructure based on established schedules or assigned work orders.
- Ensures all equipment is in proper working condition and is cleaned and maintained on a routine schedule.
- Receives direction from the Manager, Supervisor, Crew Leader, or Public Works Superintendent and schedules work appropriately, allowing for emergencies or other tasks as they are assigned.
- Monitors City infrastructure/properties and reports needed repairs or installation to Manager/Supervisor. This is to include but not be limited to needed landscape maintenance, street signage, traffic control devices, stormwater infrastructure, street paving, street curb and gutter, and rights-of-way.
- Collaborates with other Public Works and City staff for seasonal installations, special events, work orders, and enhancement projects.
- Participates in the Public Works on-call staff rotation, seasonal color watering route, downtown sidewalk blowing, completing necessary and emergency responses to various Public Works related tasks outside of normal business hours.
- Ensures all State, Federal, and local City safety standards are being upheld while working or in a capacity that represents the City of Perry.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Comprehensive Knowledge of methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in the maintenance and repair of streets, gutters, sidewalks, drainage structures, rights-of-way, and related infrastructure.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and administrative regulations, City ordinances and external directives.
- Knowledge of safe work methods, safety precautions and safety regulations related to street construction and maintenance work.
- Knowledge of geographic boundaries of the City’s road network, traffic patterns and public facilities.
- Knowledge of the safe and proper use and care of manual, electrical, gas and hydraulic powered tools and equipment used in the assigned functional area.
- Knowledge of the proper placement of barricades and signage for road and lane closures needed for the protection of vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Skilled in the operation of light to heavy vehicle and equipment in the installation, maintenance and repair functions associated with the assigned functional area.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions; write simple correspondence; present information in one-on-one situations (e.g., to Supervisor, co-workers, etc.).
- Ability to perform general math functions, including addition and subtraction and multiplication and division as needed.
- Ability to read and interpret various documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and related documentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to set priorities and accomplish work activities with a minimum of supervision and be able to develop and maintain harmonious working relationships with others, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work independently to carry out assignments to completion.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND/OR EXERCISED:
Reports to assigned manager of division.
Class A criteria job demand. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for heavy work: lifting, push/pull, grip/handling, elevated work reaching, continued coordination, elevated work/reach, sitting tolerance in driving task of lawn tractors and standing tolerance due to change of task and debris pickup.
- Work is performed outdoors under dirty, uncomfortable, noisy, and hazardous conditions and in all types of weather conditions.
- Duties requires good eye-hand coordination to operate robotic controls and the ability and stamina to perform heavy manual physical labor, move items weighing in excess of 50 lbs. on a repetitive basis, as well as the ability to crawl, climb, bend, twist, stoop, kneel and to maintain such activities throughout a work shift.
- Work also involves equipment operation in residential areas as well as in heavy traffic.
- Weekend, holiday, and after-hours work are sometimes required, as well as after-hours response and emergencies.
- Preferred minimum one year experience in the operation of light, medium, or heavy-duty equipment, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job.
- Current and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record throughout employment.
This position requires pre-employment, post accident, and random drug screening.
THE CITY OF PERRY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A CERTIFIED DRUG FREE WORKPLACE